A Brief Parish History
The first chapel of Grace Episcopal Church in Port Lavaca was moved by railroad car to Cuero, Texas in 1874. Following a yellow fever epidemic in Port Lavaca, only one Vestryman and a very few parishioners remained of the congregation. It was at that time that the Right Reverend Alexander Gregg, Bishop of Texas, had the chapel moved to Cuero, where there were Episcopalians but no church building. A number of the Cuero churchmen were former members of the Port Lavaca church but had moved inland to avoid the hurricane and malaria perils of the Gulf Coast. The first chapel of Grace Church, Port Lavaca, became the first chapel of Grace Church, Cuero.